Get Notified When We Post New Articles!

Want to be kept up-to-date on changes to this blog and other Sustainable Edmonds projects? Email us at SustainableEdmonds@gmail.com, and we'll send a notification email every time we post a new article for you to review. Also check out our main website.

Monday, March 1, 2010

How Can I Best Prepare for an Energy Audit?

This is an open question for those of you who have completed your energy audit. If you were to do it over again, what would you be sure to do... or NOT do?

  • Did you ask all of the questions you had, or did you forget to ask all of those burning (pun clearly intended) questions?
  • Was your house ready for the Auditor? For example, did you have to move some furniture to access a leaky area in the house?
  • How well did your prediction of your home's performance match the audit results? Any BIG surprises?
Post your answers as comments to this article.

3 comments:

  1. A.H., a homeowner participant, said that there weren't any big surprises in her audit. Some leaking ducts in the crawlspace, some spaces with inadequate insluation, and some suggestions for appliance replacement.
    She did mention that her audit report, while complete, wasn't that easy to prioritize. That's a tough one, as we each have our own idea of what "important to do" is. I'd be happy to sit down with you after you get your audit reports to figure out what makes the most sense to attack first, based on what your priorities are. You all have my number!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I followed all instructions sent by energy audit company previous to audit and everything went pretty smoothly.
    The most enlightening parts where the blower test and the ultraviolet gun images.
    I knew that I needed to weatherize my home but I had no idea just how much air flow there was between the inside and outside of the house, especially from my attic room as well as from the living room chimney.
    I also found out that my heating ducts had leaks and needed to be insulated as well as the water pipes in the crawl space.
    Definetely a worthwhile experience and very informative.
    Just waiting to get the bids in so I can start process of weatherization.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Correction to previous post:
    I meant "infra-red camera images" and not "ultraviolet gun images"

    ReplyDelete