Get Notified When We Post New Articles!

Want to be kept up-to-date on changes to this blog and other Sustainable Edmonds projects? Email us at SustainableEdmonds@gmail.com, and we'll send a notification email every time we post a new article for you to review. Also check out our main website.

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

I'm Insulated! So, tell me about it.

Now that the audits are mostly done, a few participants have already started getting insulation work done. That seems to be the number one cost/benefit item in the audits, so it's no surprise.
If you have had insulation work done - let us know how it went. And, while I won't mention contractors by name.... if you'd like to, go right ahead. Every homeowner could benefit from your experience.
Please include as much data as you can - especially costs.

2 comments:

  1. CV Says:

    "Finally got my house weatherized last Wednesday and I’ve had a week to feel the results.

    I can most definitely feel the difference. My house warms up much faster and is much more comfortable temperature wise. And it takes a lot longer to cool down once I turn the heater off.

    I had my attic filled with air-blown insulation. Had my exterior walls insulated. Had heating vent leaks repaired and all heating vents in the attic and crawlspace insulated as well as water pipes.

    That same evening I could already feel a lot stronger forced warm air coming out of my heating vents and hot water was a lot faster to appear when I took a shower.

    My bedroom used to be one of the coldest rooms that took the longest to heat and was the quickest to cool down. That has now dramatically changed.

    I am very happy that I finally took action and got the house weatherized. (Still have a few minor air leak situations I need to take care of but I’ll be able to do them myself)

    The company that did the weatherizing, American Crawlspace Cleanouts, in Lynnwood, did a great job and acted very professionally. (A nearby neighbor who had just had their house weatherized recommended them to me, and their quote was over $1,000 less than another company’s quote).

    They are in PSE and PUD’s contractor list and I qualified for all the PSE instant rebates ($1000), so my total out of pocket expense was $1400.

    That same day my house was weatherized I also took advantage of a beautifully sunny day and cooked my first solar meal with my new state-of the art Sun Oven. A delicious lentil soup."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also used American Crawlspace Cleanouts to insulate my floor and a bunch of other little things in my crawlspace - they seemed to do a very good job. Of course it hasn't been as cold but the house seems to hold the heat better.

    ReplyDelete